The 4 Private/Family Onsen Baths in Kagoshima
In recent years, private/family baths have been getting popular in Japan. Many people want to take a bath privately without being seen or disturbed by others, or only with the family or friends. And those onsens are getting popular among foreign tourists as well. This article features onsens in Kagoshima which offer private/family onsen bath. Of course, all the onsens listed here are genuine ones!
1. Shinyu Onsen "Kokumin Syukusya Shinmoéso"
The first one is Shinmoéso that is famous for its white sulphur hot spring. The hot spring contains a largee amount of sulphur ions, this onsen is one of the whitest hot springs I’ve ever seen. Although the private/family bath is not as big as the open-air bath, it is highly recommended if you want to soak in this cloudy bath exclusively. Also, please be noted that the private/family bath closes earlier than other baths. It closes at 4pm.
Kokumin Syukusya Shinmoéso
- Address: 3968, Makizonochō Takachiho, Kirishima, Kagoshima
- Tel: 099-578-2255
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 20:00 (last entry at 19:00)
- Closing Days: Every 4th Tuesday (Changes to the following day if it falls on a holiday)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1000 ~
2. Yoshimatsu Onsenkyo "Haraguchi Onsen"
The second one is Haraguchi Onsen located at Yusui. What is special in this onsen is its black moor hot spring. Moor hot spring is a hot spring containing botanical ingredients. The water of Haraguchi Onsen is so black that the locals call it as “coffee hot spring.” In the past, this onsen was a place for the medicinal bathing, and people say bathing here is good for skin.
- Address: 1172, Tsurumaru, Yusui-cho, Aira-gun, Kagoshima
- Tel: 0995-75-2045
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 - 19:30
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 800/h for 2 people
3. Momiji Onsen
Momiji Onsen is located at Hioki, and you might not forget the colour of its hot spring once you visit this onsen. The hot spring water is super clear and slightly green coloured. Momiji Onsen has been highly reputed by the onsen fans with its outstanding quality of the water. You can take a bath in such a good onsen exclusively at the private/family bath. Also, please be noted there is only one private/family bath, so please confirm in advance if possible.
- Address: 2503, Yunoura, Fukiagé-cho, Hioki, Kagoshima
- Tel: 099-296-5959
- Opening Hours: Thursday to Tuesday 06:00 - 21:00
- Closing Days: Every first and third Wednesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 2000/h for 2 adults
4. Fukiagé Onsen "Shinyu Onsen Ryokan"
The last one is Shinyu Onsen Ryokan located at Hioki. This onsen is famous for its dark green hot spring water. The onsen is a sulphur hot spring and contains a lot of yu no hana (deposited minerals). You can enjoy this onsen privately. Also, the private/family bath cannot be booked on Sat, Sun, and holidays, so please confirm in advance if you visit on weekends.
Shinyu Onsen Ryokan
- Address: 1194, Yunoura, Fukiagé-cho, Hioki, Kagoshima
- Tel: 099-296-2250
- Opening Hours: Daily 06:30 - 22:00
- Closing Days: Every third Tuesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1500/h for 2 adults
There are a lot of genuine onsens in Kagoshima. When you go to Kagoshima, please visit other onsens as well.