The 5 Private/Family Onsen Baths in Fukuoka and Nagsaki
In recent years, private/family baths have been getting popular in Japan. Many people want to take a bath privately without being seen or disturbed by others, or only with the family or friends. And those onsens are getting popular among foreign tourists as well. This article features onsens in Fukuoka and Nagasaki which offer private/family onsen bath. Of course, all the onsens listed here are genuine ones!
1. Okawa Onsen Kihada Bijin "Midori no yu"
The first one is Midori no yu which is located at Okawa, Fukuoka. This onsen quite unusual because the hot spring contains fulvic acid which is said to be good for anti-aging. Many frequent bathers actually agree with that. And the bathtub in the private/family bath is made by premium wood such as Yakusugi (Japanese cedar grown in Yakushima) which can let you relax deeply.
Midori no yu
- Address: 241-1 Nakahachiin, Ōkawa, Fukuoka
- Tel: 0944-88-0026
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 23:00
- Closing Days: Every second and fourth Tuesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1000/h
2. Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen
The second one is Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen which is also located at Okawa, Fukuoka. The hot spring water contains a rich amount of sodium ions and thus it is salty. And, as indicated in the name, this onsen is situated close to Chikugo River Lift Bridge. Although, the bridge view (spectacular at night) cannot be seen from the private/family bath, the bathtub is made by Hinoki which is a premium wood and makes good fragrance. Soaking in a Hinoki bathtub will be a soothing experience.
Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen
- Address: 2526-1 Mukaijima, Ōkawa, Fukuoka
- Tel: 0944-86-8533
- Opening Hours: 9:00 - 23:00
- Closing Days: Every second Tuesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1800/h
3. Genchiku Onsen "Takatori no yu"
The third one is Takatori no yu which is located at Kurume, Fukuoka. This onsen only offers an open-air bath, not an indoor bath, which is quite unusual. However, there is a private/family bath. The hot spring water is clear and transparent, also it has the exceptional silky touch. To experience the touch, touch and stroke your body while soaking in the bath, which would be quite soothing.
Takatori no yu
- Address: 106-3 Tanushimarumachi Moribe, Kurume, Fukuoka
- Tel: 094-372-4793
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 21:00
- Closing Days: Wednesday (opens if it falls on a holiday)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1620/h (weekdays), JPY 1620/h for 50 min (weekend and holidays)
4. Unzen Kojigoku Onsen "Kokumin Syukusya Seiunso"
The fourth one is Seieunso which is located at Unzen, Nagasaki. Seiunso is famous for its white cloudy water. The water is weak acidic sulphur spring with the pH value of 4.3, which is soft and gentle to the skin. As this onsen is very popular among the locals and tourists, the shared bath is always crowded; however, the private/family bath allows you to soak in the bath exclusively without being disturbed by others.
Kokumin Syukusya Seiunso
- Address: 500-1 Obamachō Unzen, Unzen, Nagasaki
- Tel: 0957-73-3273
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:30 - 18:00
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1080 for 50 min
5. Yunomoto Onsen "Yamaguchi Onsen"
The last one is Yamaguchi Onsen which is located at Iki, Nagasaki. The hot spring water is brown-coloured and is so salty that your lip might tingle when the water touched it. Also, bathing at Yamaguchi Onsen is said to be good for joint pain or skin diseases.
- Address: 400 Katsumotochō Hongūminamifure, Iki, Nagasaki
- Tel: 092-043-0900
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 - 20:00
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 700/h for one person, JPY 600/h per person for 2 or more people
There are a lot of genuine onsens in Fukuoka and Nagasaki. When you go to Fukuoka or Nagasaki, please visit other onsens as well.