The 10 Private/Family Onsen Baths in Oita
In recent years, private/family baths have been getting popular in Japan. Many people want to take a bath privately without being seen or disturbed by others, or only with the family or friends. And those onsens are getting popular among foreign tourists as well. This article features onsens in Oita which offer private/family onsen bath. Of course, all the onsens listed here are genuine ones!
1. Kan no Jigoku Onsen
Kan no Jigoku Onsen is located at Kokonoe, and has more than 150 years of history. This onsen is famous for its clear cool spring as indicated in the name “Kan” which means “Cold” in Japanese. Also, there is an hot bath where the cool water is heated up using wood fuel. The water is not only cold but also has subtle sulphur fragrance. Soaking in the hot bath and cool bath one after the other would be so soothing!
Kan no Jigoku Onsen
- Address: 257 Tano, Kokonoe-machi, Kusu-gun, Ōita
- Tel: 0973-79-2124
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 13:00
- Closing Days: Wednesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 2000 for 50 min
2. Kawazoko Onsen "Keisenso"
Keisenso is located at Kokonoe as well, and it is said that this onsen was discovered by Sugawara no Michizane. The bathtub is made by stones which have been used from 1856. The hot spring water directly rises up from the bottom of the bathtub and thus the water is always fresh. The hot spring source for the private/family bath differs from that for the shared bath, and both of them are highly evaluated.
- Address: 1453 Sugawara, Kokonoe-machi, Kusu-gun, Ōita
- Tel: 0973-78-8509
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:00 - 20:00
- Closing Days: Not specified (depending on the weather condition)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1500/h
3. Oku-Myoban Sanso
Oku-Myoban Sanso is located at Beppu. What is special in this onsen is the cloudy white hot spring containing fine Yu no hana (white mineral deposits). Oku-Myoban Sanso only offers private/family baths because the owner want every single visitor to enjoy the excellent hot spring bath without being disturbed by others. The owner has great confidence in its water quality, and it is really outstanding.
- Address: 1 Kumi Yuyama, Beppu, Ōita
- Tel: 0977-67-2229
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 20:00
- Closing Days: Every Wednesday (Not applicable on holidays and in the peak season)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 500
4. Shibaseki Onsen
Shibaseki Onsen is located at Beppu as well. This onsen has a wide range of facilities including a big indoor bath, an open-air bath, and a steam bath. And it offers a private/family bath as well. The bathtub is made by stones and big enough to stretch yourself while soaking in it. That would be quite de-stressing.
- Address: 4 Kumi - 2 Noda, Beppu, Ōita
- Tel: 0977-67-4100
- Opening Hours (Private/Family Bath): 09:00 - 19:00
- Closing Days: Every second Wednesday (changes to the following day if it falls on a holiday)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1620/h
5. Tsukahara Onsen "Kakó no Izumi"
Kakó no Izumi is located at Yufu, and is famous for its acidic hot spring which is said to be the second strongest in Japan. You can exclusively enjoy soaking at one of the strongest acidic water in this private/family bath. That would be a rare experience even though there are a lot of hot springs in Oita.
Kakó no Izumi
- Address: 1235 Yufuinchō Tsukahara, Yufu, Ōita
- Tel: 0977-85-4101
- Opening Hours:
Jun to Aug: 09:00 - 19:00 (last entry at 18:00)
Sep to May: 09:00 - 18:00 (last entry at 17:00)
- Closing Days: Year End and New Year’s Holidays (Also closes without prior notice depending on the weather condition)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 2000/h ~
6. Nagayu Onsen "Naganoyu"
Naganoyu is located at Taketa, and is popular among “Gas geeks” in Japan because the hot spring water contains a large amount of hot spring gas. Once you get in the bathroom, you will soon notice it. Visit Naganoyu and become a new member of “Gas geeks” if you like it.
- Address: 426-2 Naoirimachi Ōaza Nagayu, Taketa, Ōita
- Tel: 0974-75-2200
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:00 - 19:00
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1000 for 50 min
7. Nagayu Onsen "Ramune Onsen Kan"
Ramune Onsen Kan is located at Taketa as well, and is famous for its carbonated spring as indicated in the name (“Ramune” means “Soda pop” in Japanese). This onsen is highly carbonated and very popular among the locals as well as tourists. Also, the building is designed by a famous architect. If you have never experienced soaking in a carbonated spring, this onsen is highly recommended.
Ramune Onsen Kan
- Address: 7676-2 Naoirimachi Ōaza Nagayu, Taketa, Ōita
- Tel: 0974-75-2620
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 22:00
- Closing Days: Every first Wednesday (Jan and May, second Wednesday)
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 2000/h
8. Shichifuku Onsen "Utonosho"
Utonosho is located at Kusu in the middle of the mountains. This onsen offers a moor hot spring (a hot spring containing botanical ingredients) containing fine bubbles. That is quite unusual. Visit Utonosho to refresh yourself by soaking in an onsen bath surrounded by beautiful nature.
- Address: 4398-2 Mori, Kusu-machi, Kusu-gun, Ōita
- Tel: 0973-72-0429
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 19:00 (last entry at 18:00)
- Closing Days: Wednesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1600 ~ for 70 min
9. Yoake Yakuto Onsen
Yoake Yakuto Onsen is located at Hita. The chloride hot spring naturally rises up from 1500 meters below the ground, and the water has a gentle touch which can make the skin smooth. Also, the temperature is moderate (40°C|104°F to 41°C|105.8°F), hence this onsen is good for a long soak. Finally, what is unique in this onsen is that Enka (Japanese traditional ballad) music is always played here. So, you will take a bath with its moody sound.
Yoake Yakuto Onsen
- Address: 714-3 Kawashita, Hita, Ōita
- Tel: 0973-27-2809
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 21:00
- Closing Days: Tuesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1000 ~ for 50 min
10. Mahoroba Onsen "Usa"
Mahoroba Onsen “Usa” is located at Usa, and is famous for its gentle touch of water. The onsen is a sodium bicarbonate saline spring, and the water is subtle cloudy. Many visitors say this hot spring is suitable for a long soak, and actually they do. If you visit Usa, visit “Usa” as well. That would get rid of your fatigue after the long time travel.
Mahoroba Onsen “Usa”
- Address: 1765−8 Kawabe, Usa, Ōita
- Tel: 0978-37-3711
- Opening Hours: 09:00 - 22:00
- Closing Days: Every third Tuesday
- Price (Private/Family Bath): JPY 1500 for 50 min
There are a lot of genuine onsens in Oita. When you go to Oita, please visit other onsens as well.