The 10 Onsens You Should Visit in Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki
The sixth article in our selection series is “The 10 Onsens You Should Visit in Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki.” There are less onsens in these areas than in Oita or Kumamoto; however, that doesn’t mean there is not good onsen in these areas. I’ve selected 10 excellent onsens in Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki, I hope this article will help you find a location you want to visit.
1. Hakata Onsen "Ganso Motoyu"
Fukuoka is the biggest city in the Kyushu region, and thus you might stop at Fukuoka when you visit Kyushu. Ganso Motoyu is just 20-minute drive from the centre of Fukuoka city. It’s rare and surprising that there is an onsen where we can enjoy non-recycled authentic hot spring in such a convenient location. As the bath temperature is 49°C|102.2°F, Ganso Motoyu is recommended for, especially, those who like a hot bath.
Hakata Onsen “Ganso Motoyu”
- Address: 3-6-18 Yokote, Minami-ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka
- Tel: 092-591-6713
- Opening Hours: 13:00 - 18:00
- Closing Days: Thursday
13:00 to 15:00: JPY 600
15:00 to 17:00: JPY 500
17:00 to 18:00: JPY 400
2. Ongagawa Onsen
Look at this colour! It is Ongagawa Onsen where you can experience a strongly turbid hot spring. I’ve soaked at more than 200 onsens in Kyushu, and this onsen is one of the most turbid hot spring I’ve ever soaked. The water contains a large amount of iron and bicarbonate ions, and said to be good for back pain and surface wounds. You might not know there is such an impressive hot spring in Fukuoka. If you like onsen, Ongagawa Onsen is a must-visit place!
- Address: 61-1 Asagi, Onga-chō, Onga-gun, Fukuoka
- Tel: 093-293-6869
- Opening Hours: 13:00 - 21:00 (last entry at 20:30)
- Closing Days: Every Fourth Monday, Tuesday
- Price: JPY 700
3. Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen
In Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen, you can enjoy a view of Chikugo River Lift Bridge while soaking in the bath. This onsen contains a rich amount of sodium ions, and thus frequent bathers say bathing at here can make the skin smoother. Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen offers various types of bath facilities such as open-air bath, private bath, or sauna, so you can spend a long time without boring. The bridge is lighted up at night, and the view from the bath is fantastic!
Okawa Shokaikyo Onsen
- Address: 2526-1 Mukaijima, Ōkawa, Fukuoka
- Tel: 0944-86-8533
- Opening Hours: 9:00 - 23:00
- Closing Days: Every second Tuesday
- Price: JPY 600
4. Kawanoeki Funagoya "Koibotaru Onsenkan"
There is another hot spring with the floor covered with huge amount of deposited minerals in Fukuoka. That is Koibotaru Onsenkan. Although the bathroom is big, the floor is fully covered with deposited minerals and the hot spring quality surely meet the expectation. Koibotaru Onsenkan offers an indoor bath as well as an open-air bath, and both of them are big. Also, there is a grassy field next to Koibotaru. You can play with your friends or family in this field.
Kawanoeki Funagoya "Koibotaru Onsenkan"
- Address: 298-2 Oshima, Chikugo, Fukuoka
- Tel: 094-252-8866
- Opening Hours: Sun to Fri: 10:00- 21:00 (last entry at 20:30); Sat: 10:00 - 22:30 (last entry at 22:00)
- Closing Days: Tuesday (except 5, 15, 25 and holiday)
- Price: JPY 500
5. Genchiku Onsen "Takatori no yu"
In Takatori no yu, you can enjoy bathing at crystal clear hot spring where the pure water is used (not recycled). Quite hot water rises up from under the ground and the water flows into the bath as is. Also, the touch of the water is smooth. You can soak in the bath for a long time without boring. Takatori no yu only offers an open-air bath, that really unique even in countless hot springs in Kyushu.
Takatori No Yu
- Address: 106-3 Tanushimarumachi Moribe, Kurume, Fukuoka
- Tel: 094-372-4793
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 21:00
- Closing Days: Wednesday (opens if falls on a holiday)
- Price: JPY 500
6. Ureshino Onsen "Kisenkan"
The Ureshino Onsen area is a famous onsen resort in Saga; however, it is said that most of the onsens in this area recycle hot spring water with the circulation system. Kisenkan is an exception. This onsen has a motto in which they do not recycle the water. Actually, when I soaked in the bath, I could notice that the fragrance is really good and the touch is so smooth. Also, the water is drinkable, it’s a little bit salty and used for making miso soup, tōfu, or shōchu.
- Address: Otsu-2202-18 Ureshinomachi Ōaza Shimojuku, Ureshino, Saga
- Tel: 0954-43-0665
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 21:00
- Closing Days: Not specified
- Price: JPY 600
7. Obama Onsen, Wakihama Onsen Yokujyo "Otassyan yu"
Otassyan yu is an onsen with full of nostalgic charm. The entire building still preserves the 1950s atmosphere, you will surely like the locker and the dressing room if you like nostalgic charm. Although the hot spring water is salty, the touch is soft and gentle. Otassyan yu has been loved by the locals, especially fishermen. They take a bath in dawn before starting their work, that can charge the energy to work for them.
Obama Onsen Wakihama Onsen Yokujyo “Otassyan Yu”
- Address: 7 Obamachō Minamihonmachi, Unzen, Nagasaki
- Tel: 0957-74-3402
- Opening Hours: Daily Dawn – 21:00
- Closing Days: JPY 150
8. Yunosato Onsen Kyodo Yokujyo
Yunosato Onsen has more than 100 years of history. In the past, a cask used for making rakkyo (a Chinese onion) pickles was used as a bathtub in this onsen. This onsen is called as “Dankyu buro” and “dankyu” means rakkyo in the dialect in this region. The pH value of the hot spring is 2.3 which is highly acidic; however, it is not harsh, it is soft enough to soak for a long time.
Yunosato Onsen Kyodo Yokujyo
- Address: 303-1 Obamachō Unzen, Unzen, Nagasaki
- Tel: 080-5286-2576
- Opening Hours: Daily 09:00 - 23:00
- Price: JPY 200
9. Unzen Kojigoku Onsen "Kokumin Syukusya Seiunso"
In Seiunso, you can enjoy soaking in cloudy hot spring with the view of green nature. I’ve seen many cloudy hot springs, and Seiunso is so white even among them. This onsen is a low-acidic sulphur hot spring, and the fact that it has been loved by a large number of repeat visitors indicates the quality is outstanding.
Unzen Kojigoku Onsen “Kokumin Syukusya Seiunso”
- Address: 500-1 Obamachō Unzen, Unzen, Nagasaki
- Tel: 0957-73-3273
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:30 - 18:00
- Price: JPY 660
10. Yunomoto Onsen "Yamaguchi Onsen"
If you visit Iki island, you should visit Yamagushi Onsen. As this onsen is located so close to the ocean, the hot sprig is so salty. My lip slightly tingled when the water touched it. Soaking in a salty water can warm up the body thoroughly, and I actually didn’t feel a chill after bathing. Only at the opening time, the surface of the bath is covered with thin white mineral deposits, and it is said taking this bath is really good for health.
Yunomoto Onsen “Yamaguchi Onsen”
- Address: 400 Katsumotochō Hongūminamifure, Iki, Nagasaki
- Tel: 092-043-0900
- Opening Hours: Daily 07:00 - 20:00
- Price: JPY 350
Although I selected 10 onsens in Fukuoka, Saga, and Nagasaki, there are a lot more good onsens. Click the following button to see others.